Friday 8 March 2013

Virgin Media and Stackoverflow

I don't usually complain about my ISP Virgin media but recently I have found their tech support is shockingly bad.
While I will not dwell on one of their IT support guys doing a remote connection to my PC and resetting my network drivers ... blue screen of death!
It looks as if they would not know a network fault if it had a big sign hanging around its neck!
At this time it is impossible for me to access stackoverflow.com and as I am at home doing technical research this is a pain in the arse.
So after the support muppets have told me to restart my PC, change my network settings and reboot my modem ... even when I tell them the iPad can not connect they then tell me I need to contact stackoverflow directly and advise them that that they have blocked the IP range my requests are coming from. That is an interesting idea ... but I can't contact them because I can't get to their web site & emails are blocked!

But it isn't just me ... read on ...

One post suggested using a VPN, which I have now set up.
The free VPN I used was justfreevpn.com which did not at first work.
Why?
Because the Virgin Super hub blocks all PPTP traffic. (Go to your router-->Advanced Settings-->Security-->Firewall and select PPTP Pass through to be on.)





But now I have a VPN to enable when I need to access the blocked sites.

Struth!

No comments:

Post a Comment